Sallah gift for Drug peddlers in Lagos
Crime Guard Wednesday, November 9, 2011
By Ifeanyi Okolie
The
Eid-el-Kabir celebration has turned into a nightmare for 39-year-old
Olalekan Idris Bamidele and Nnana Kenneth Chukwuma, 39, as they were
arrested by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency
(NDLEA) while attempting to import narcotics worth N51million into the
country on Sallah day.
Idris Olalekan Bamidele with the 5.300kg cocaine concealed in ladies handbags & Nnanna Keneth Chukwuma - another suspect.
advertisement
The
duo who were said to be members of a notorious drug cartel operating
within Brazil and Nigeria met their waterloo as substances suspected to
be cocaine were found on them during search operations on passengers
arriving the country from Brazil aboard Qatar Airline flights at the
Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.
The
shipment of 5.300kg of cocaine hidden inside ladies hand bags was on
Sunday November 6, 2011, intercepted at about 2pm. Another seizure of
1.090kg of cocaine was last week, detected in the belly of a passenger
suspected to be a member of the cartel with the aid of scanning machine.
The
seizures are believed to have been masterminded by members of an
international drug cartel that smuggles cocaine first, from Brazil to
West Africa and from West Africa to Europe and America. Arrests have
also been made in connection with the cocaine seizures with an estimated
street value of over N51 million.
Crime Alert gathered that one
of the drug suspects, Bamidele, who allegedly checked in a luggage
containing 5.300kg into a Qatar Airline flight at Sao Paulo was arrested
on arrival at the Lagos airport last Sunday and Nnanna who swallowed
narcotic drugs in Brazil tested positive to drug ingestion at the
arrival hall of the Lagos airport and was also arrested While Nnanna was
under observation, he excreted ingested drug that tested positive for
cocaine weighing 1.090kg.
Olalekan Idris Bamidele who hails from
Odogbolu in Ogun State and married with 3 children told Crime Alert that
he fled Libya for Malaysia during the eight month civil war that
ravaged the country. "In September 2011, I traveled to Brazil in search
of job opportunities.
But unfortunately, I joined a drug cartel
over there in Brazil and I was asked to deliver the bag containing
cocaine in Lagos. I was however, arrested on my way from Brazil last
Sunday with 5.300kg of cocaine at the Lagos airport. I am living at
Ikorodu with my wife and children. I attended Saint Paul's Primary
School, Odogbolu and had my secondary education at Odogbolu Grammar
School.
"I am a trained carpenter but I work as a painter to earn
a living in Libya. I left there because of the crisis. I thought Brazil
will be better for me but it turned out this way. I was asked to bring
the bag containing the drug to Nigeria. This is my first time, please
help me" Olalekan appealed.
Nnana Kenneth Chukwuma, 39, traveled
to Brazil also in search of job opportunities in August 2011. He tested
positive for drug ingestion and was arrested at the Lagos airport. Few
days later, he excreted wraps of drugs weighing 1.090kg.
The
suspect sells Nigeria movies and musical discs in Gambia. He is married
to a Gambian and has two children. "Hardship forced me into drug
trafficking. My family are in Gambia. I was frustrated into smuggling
the drugs for half a million naira. I feel bad about my involvement and
do not know what to do now" Nnana stated. He hails from Mbaino in Imo
State.
Chairman of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade expressed delight over
the arrests particularly that of Olalekan Idris Bamidele who wanted to
take advantage of the Islamic festival to import 5.300kg of cocaine into
the country. "Though drug barons are wise in exploring ways of
smuggling drugs, we are wiser in detecting the drugs and arresting them.
This arrest is a warning that we are always at alert to scuttle their
next plan. We shall continue to expose their devices until they quit the
criminal trade," Giade stated.
In his message to the nation on
the occasion of Eid-el Kabir, Giade urged Nigerians to contribute to
national peace by supporting the anti-drug campaign programme of the
NDLEA. "Let us shun drug trafficking and abuse and report any suspicious
illegal drug transaction at the nearest NDLEA office. A drug free
society is our dream, consciously work towards it," he stated.

No comments:
Post a Comment